Click Here to Download and Print a PDF Version of this Article!
Before you finalize planning for your next meeting or event, consider developing a green plan of action. There are a range of eco-friendly steps you can take to improve your event without compromising effectiveness or your budget.
Green Your Hotel
- Is your hotel green friendly? Ask them to detail their Green Policies in your RFP. Also, ask the hotel to provide green options and alternatives prior to your final approval of the hotel contract.
- Select hotels that offer guests the option to reuse towels or linens during their stay.
- Ask hotel to provide cards that individuals can leave in the bathroom stating they don’t want to have their toiletries replaced.
Green Your Food & Beverage
- Serve “Box Lunches” buffet style.
- Provide attendees with branded event mugs or water bottles.
- Where possible, donate surplus food to local shelters.
Green Your Travel
- Choose a destination with minimal travel requirements for delegates.
- Purchase electronic tickets for airline travel whenever possible.
- If transportation is being arranged for delegates, choose a vehicle that is eco-friendly.
Green Your Promotional/Printed Materials
- Make sure all printed items are printed on at least 30% recycled paper per the EPA standards of recycled content.
- Use electronic advertising, promotion and registration whenever possible.
- Only mail confirmation of registration and any significant changes to the event program. All other communication should be sent electronically.
Green Your Venue
- Encourage speakers to provide electronic copies of handouts of any visual presentations and post them on your website.
- Ensure that you can recycle any materials that are generated at the event.
- Make sure the convention center has recycling containers.
, Green Meetings